Purrls

Monday, December 21, 2009

a peaceful Solstice to all

Today marks the Winter Solstice, which is the shortest day of the year (ergo, the longest night). From here on out, the days will be getting longer as we welcome the light back to the Earth.

There are as many ways to celebrate the Solstice as there are Pagans, so I have put together a little set of ways to celebrate, some personal and some with my family, that feel meaningful and productive to me.

* Helping Someone Else. I found a stack of knitted squares in my grandpa's attic, and crocheted them together to be blankies for the homeless kitty shelter. Maggie helped me take them to the donation bin and drop them in.

* Going Green. Pagans love their Mother Earth and work to protect and honor Her. My theme for this year's holidays was "reduce, reuse, recycle". I am giving mostly handmade gifts. I participated in two "white elephant" exchanges (which means that I traded "useless" things with someone else rather than purchase new "useless" things). I wrapped all my gifts in wrapping paper rescued from Grandpa's, and even used a couple of vintage maps of Chicago as wrapping paper. I made little gifties for my office mates and my knitting friends using wooden cutouts, pin backs, and vintage findings that I already had in my collection.

* Feast. Feasting on veggies, due to the fact that I have overdone it on starchy processed goodies the past few days (not to mention a tussle with my friend Jim Beam).

* Welcoming Back the Sun. Tonight I light a candle and meditate on the turning of the Wheel and the return of our blessed sun. It's such an act of faith to me, because this is the time of year when it seems that the sun will never return, yet we know it will.

Blessings, all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home