Purrls

Monday, August 31, 2009

I don't need to spend....

I don't need to spend $100 or more on a new coat. The one from last year still fits, and now that I've had it cleaned, it looks new again. I'm going to dig through the vintage button box and add some buttons to give it a little pizazz.
Money saved: $97.65 ($100- dry cleaning bill)

I don't need to spend $200 or more on a new Blythe doll. I love Can Can Cat's lovely blue hair, but an etsy seller has great wigs in exactly the same color. My Junie has almost exactly the same makeup as CCC. And I put the black wig on my Jacinta and whoa she looks fabulous!!
Money saved: $180 ($200- blue wig + shipping)

I don't need to spend $100 or more on new shoes this fall. I bought two pairs last fall, and I have a pair from the previous fall that are still in great shape. I have a pair for dressy work and I have a fancy pair for dressy-dress. I have a pair of snow boots, a pair of running shoes for the gym, and a pair of combat boots for crappy weather.
Money saved: $100

I don't need to spend $300 and more on a new Kate Spade handbag. I fixed my own!
Money saved: $300

I don't need to spend $90 a month on my cell phone. I don't need to be that connected! And I certainly don't *need* to be surfing the net all day. I got a Tracfone for only $25 and need to pay, at minimum, $20 every three months.
Money saved over the next 8 months: $475

I don't need a ton of new clothes. Wise, careful buying and the ability to make minor alterations to clothes I have that are too big is giving me a fabulous wardrobe!

Black pants, turquoise ruffle blouse, pink bra: $60 at JCPenney
Dark denim skinny crop pants, sky blue tshirt, purple tshirt: $40 at Target
Black skirt with flared hem, purple shiny blouse: $50 at Kohl's
Gray pants, purple 3/4 sleeve blouse, blue bra: $52.00 at JCPenney
Undies: $26 at Kohl's

So for a total of about $230, I have a great new wardrobe and I feel fab!

I don't need to spend money on manicures. I can learn to do my own nails.
Money saved: $15 every two weeks

I don't need to spend money on pedicures either. I can do my own and E's foot massages are better than theirs.
Money saved: $30 a month

We can still go out for breakfast on Saturday--we just go to McDonald's instead of the local family restaurant. We don't have to tip, we don't have to wait, and Maggie can bounce around a little rather than being stuck in the booth.
Money saved: $16 a week

I don't need to spend money on buying books. What I can't get at the library I can get for just a few bucks from the used bookstore. Plus, I usually have credit there from trading in old books.
Money saved: variable

I don't need to spend a lot on holiday presents this year. I can make them from my fabulous stash!
Money saved: $200 at least

I don't need to spend a lot on entertaining friends. Potluck is fun, and everyone has something to eat that they will like. I don't have to spend half the evening in the kitchen, either.
Money saved: $40 per bash

2 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous DoctorTracFone said…

    Love it!

    I think that some people view shopping as a recreational activity, which is crazy. But it's part of our culture.

    Here's an interesting article I came across that agrees with us on spending, fyi.
    http://www.moli.com/p/moliview/3_199548/article

    Also, I'm with you (of course!) on Tracfone. Why more people don't use prepaid phones, I'll never understand. Maybe they think a phone is part of their jewelry or accessories!

    LOL!

    Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your post.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    hey thanks DoctorTracFone! Nice to "meet" you :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home