Purrls

Monday, August 24, 2009

Baby, a good scarf can hide a multitude of sins


Meet kate. How lame, right? I named my kate spade handbag kate. ::eyeroll::

But I love her. She was a 22nd birthday present from my husband. She's accompanied me through some difficult times in my life, and though it seems grossly materialistic, knowing I have her on my shoulder with her lovely little black tag just gives me a little boost.

I love her perfect little size, her pretty standy-uppy shoulder strap, and of course, her little black tag.

A few years ago, I noticed to my chagrin that kate's handle tab was pulling away from the hardware. I didn't know how to fix it, and I didn't think the leather repair shop would be able to do it, as she's not leather. I put her in my closet with an apology, and kept on with a succession of new purses that I didn't love as much (of course they weren't as expensive either!).

A couple of weeks ago, I decided it was better to have a repaired kate than no kate at all, or a kate who sits in a plastic box in the closet. I took my toughest thread and a sharp needle. I stitched it in as best I could; having to go over the side of the bag towards the inside because the ravelled tab wouldn't hold if I put it just back where it was supposed to go.

And then I dug out a scarf, a pretty colorful pink & red & leopard scarf, in a square size that I could never wear, and wove it through kate's handle hardware. I kind of dig that floaty little burst of color. And since it's rather the fashion to have a scarf tied around your handbag, no one suspects that little amateur repair job, as it is completely covered up.

kate, my friend, I've missed you and I'm so glad you're back!

Total repair cost....FREE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home