Purrls

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pros/Cons of the Stupid Condo Fantasy

Pros:
* no more yard work
* no mortgage
* half the taxes
* no more garbage stickers
* heat included
* fresh perspective
* chance to pare down to essentials
* more money for fun things
* easier to keep clean
* easier to supervise Maggie
* Maggie will still have same schools, same friends

Cons:
* less space
* E will no longer have private Guyland
* will have to make serious decisions about posessions
* no garage
* will have to park outside
* no yard for Maggie to play in
* less space for parties
* unit potentially less updated than my house
* difficult sellers market
* may be priced out of housing market later
* will not be able to make certain choices about decor & exterior stuff
* will have to deal with more immediate neighbor issues

Shit, they seem pretty even don't they? I was hoping for a strong bias one way or the other.

I simply cannot get this idea out of my head. I wish I could! It would be much easier! But every time I pay that mortgage, see that huge gas bill in the winter, work my ass off in the yard to see it go to hell only days later, have to argue with Maggie again about throwing stuff down the stairs to watch it break, go into my craft room and want to scream.....it just seems so....nice.

Part of the problem is I feel like this is SUCH an odd concept that I'm not just odd for having it, but like I'm missing some huge potential regret. How could I possibly want to give up a yard and a house? I really wish I were one of those people who saves their asses off for a house and are willing to give up all their luxuries to "keep the house". I'm just...not. Somehow I couldn't give a rip about the house and I just would rather have the extra time for....life. Less time cleaning, more time taking Maggie to the park. Less money for bills, more for going to museums and out for dinner. Sometimes I feel like the house is sucking the very life out of me. My annual salary is less than the annual taxes. I work an entire year and couldn't pay the taxes on my own. NOT EVEN JUST THE TAXES.

I never really looked at it that way but I am stunned. I am paying all that for...virtually nothing. Sure, nicely paved streets and city maintenance and all, but I could enjoy those same perks at half the price and give up some things but gain some very important things!

Well, this post was supposed to clear things up and it just made them worse. Harumph.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home