Purrls

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Fabric Conundrum

I know that my "stash" is nowhere near the size of some people's stashes (ahem). But something is bothering me. I have a good sized box of small pieces. Too small, IMHO, for quilt pieces, even (I like to do patchwork with big pieces so it's less effort :-) Most of them are scraps and bits of things I made, in other words, fabric I love for one reason or another. I feel like they are not really useful to me anymore. I run across patterns I'd like to make and think "gee I have a lot of fabric" but what I have is never big enough.

So I figured I would make some small projects from it. The thing is, these small projects are never terribly useful, for me or for other folks, and so I end up making things that are cute but sort of useless.

I was going to make a scrappy log cabin quilt, but frankly they're all pretty strong patterns and so it looked really bad. Plus I only made 10 squares before i got sick of doing it (see?)

I don't do applique projects or anything that uses tiny bits. I'm one of those folks who counts the pattern pieces in the dress pattern and if it's over 5 I put it back down.

The problem is that I feel like I should use up what I have before I buy new things. Or at least get it down to the sort of quantity where I have specific plans for at least half of the stuff.

I would like to do the same thing I did with my beads; clear out all the "wtf do I do with these?" items, and the next time I have a cool project in mind I can simply buy the materials I'd like to use? Rather than feel weighted down by this supply of not-quite-right supplies?

I think I just answered my own question!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger ladyjanewriter said…

    If you haven't chucked them yet:

    a) Pass them on to me!

    b) Small goofy appliques on clothes

    c) Decoupage! Fabric works as well as paper. Mod Podge even has a Mod Podge for Fabric. Or, decoupage a plain frame. The Outdoor Mod Podge can be used to decoupage shoes!

    d) Long strips can be made into long tubes and used as those "fabric bead necklaces." They can also be used as trim for skirts and aprons.

    e) Donate to a daycare center who needs art supplies.

    f) Use large-enough square scraps as gift wrap to decorate small items, cut the edges with pinking shears, tie it with a bow. You can even use a long scrap as a bow.

    g) Little draw-string ditty bags are also good for small gifties like jewelry. Longer strips can be wine-bottle bags.

    h) Yo-yos to decorate other projects! Yo-yos on a bag or shoes are freaking cute! Or one of Maggster's tees. Yo-Yo flowers!

    I think the trick is to "think small" if you want to use them up.

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    hmmm, maybe I could swap a big bag of fun small pieces for an apron...lalala

     

Post a Comment

<< Home