Purrls

Monday, May 04, 2009

What IS the Condo Fantasy?

Since I really don't want to actually move, I decided to try and see what the ideals are for me about this pervasive Condo Fantasy (CF). What was it that made the concept appeal to me so much? What was I hoping to gain from this idea?

1. Financial. There are condos in my neighborhood that I could pay off in full with the proceeds from my (theoretical) house sale. My taxes would be lower, as would my utility bills. Incidentals would also be less, as I would not have to maintain the exterior, and home improvement projects would be at a minimum. Insurance would be less as well.

1A. This would mean that Mr. Knitty could work fewer hours, we wouldn't have to stretch to pay the bills, we could afford niceties like wireless internet and cable easily. It would also mean more time together.

2. Stuff. I find the notion of an excuse to get rid of a large amount of stuff to be very appealing. Things that while I might keep in a large space, I could let go of if I *had* to. Some things would be streamlining things; not having both a kitchen table AND a dining room, combining our home entertainment stuff, etc.

3. Time. I don't have a high standard of clean, and yet I am never able to keep on top of even bare minimum housework in my large house. Three bathrooms to keep clean, a spare bedroom that ends up a dumping ground, keeping an eye on rodent invaders, moisture issues, status updates on major home systems, etc. I would love to be able to complete my home cleaning in a smaller amount of time.

4. Life. I feel as if I had less housework, money, and stuff to worry about, I would have more time to live. More time to go to the park. More time to take weekend trips. More time to spend time with other moms & friends.

4B. This supposes that I HAVE other mom friends, and this is something I'd really like--to expand my network of mom friends and just general friends. I have a small circle of close friends with busy lives and geographical issues, and I don't get to see them as often as I'd like to, and rarely on the spur of the moment for an afternoon of tea and chat.


And so there it is. Part of me enjoys the fact that I have a "fully stocked" kitchen, with gadgets galore. I mean, I have a blender, a food processor, and immersion blender, a mixer, and a hand mixer. Come on! Sure, they all have different uses, but frankly I rarely use them, except for the hand mixer, which I do in fact use a lot. Part of me would really not mind having an "excuse" to pare down.

Part of me loves my beautiful grown up dining room set....but part of me feels that it's a colossal waste of money and space to be used only 4 times a year.

Part of me loves having a "guest room" but part of me wishes the whole room would fall off the house one day, because then I would no longer have a "dumping ground" to deal with all the time. I don't really need a "guest room" or a "craft room" or an "office". I rarely have overnight guests, I knit in my lap, and my laptop follows me around the house. If I may, I need to save my wall hangings, the quilt on the bed, my sewing machine, my yarn, and my knitting needles but that's really all, okay?

2 Comments:

  • At 4:15 AM, Blogger Adie Kay said…

    Don't make me move into the "guest room" and take care of that problem!

    Love you and miss your blogs!

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Blogger ladyjanewriter said…

    As far as the geographical issues, I'm working on the teleporter, pronto.

    OK, it might be made of wine boxes and hot glue. And might not work...

    If you ever see those two cool moms with the kids from the restaurant and the bookstore, ask for a playdate. I know why you lost your nerve (I would have too) but they seemed pretty awesome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home