Purrls

Friday, January 09, 2009

More Small Victories

I am finding that the secret to this thing is in the so-called small victories. It's the daily decisions and small, seemingly insignificant purchases that are the ones that add up!

*I finished Maggie's socks
*Maggie and I made Valentines together
*I successfully resisted the urge to purchase a travel Scrabble set (since I already have a Scrabble set, and I really don't carry it around that much)
*I was hanging up clothes in my closet and was annoyed at the lack of skirt hangers. My first impulse was to write them on the shopping list, but then I decided to make some out of clothespins and regular hangers. When I went into the laundry room to get those things I found 5 unused skirt hangers I had forgotten about.
*I am involved in a grab bag with my knitting group where we are exchanging things we already have, instead of buying new.

Already I feel a change in the way I look at purchases. Instead of thinking "I'm not so down I need to improvise skirt hangers!" I'm thinking "I could save some money and also if my skirt hanger needs decrease, I can still use the regular hangers and clips". Instead of thinking "I haven't bought anything in a while, I can treat myself" I am thinking "I don't need anything, I have everything I need and can create anything else I might want."

It has become almost a game to see how long I can go without mundane purchases!

I must say, however, that I am making an exception. Since my goal is to purge my life of non-meaningful purchases, I think this one is fair. Yesterday I was on the floor with Maggie and found one single feather from my beloved Columbia stuck between the baseboard and the carpet. I've vacuumed the corner a hundred times--how fortunate it was down deep enough I didn't get it. I had been regretting I didn't save some of his feathers when he passed. So I am paying an independent crafter on Etsy to cast this lone memento of my little blue companion in resin that I can wear as a pendant. I think that's a good use of $25.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Regarding the skirt hanger thing: I use regular hangers with safety pins. A little awkward with the pinning, but I don't usually have clothespins around.

    You are doing great! Keep it up!!!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Adie Kay said…

    Gar, anon is me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home