Purrls

Monday, June 06, 2011

KnittyMagic Series Part 1

When I bought my house, I had too much money and not enough sense. Despite cautions to shop slowly, I wanted to make a HOME so badly that I went out and bought what I thought would look good, with little heed to its true place in my life.

I always loved the look of a round oak kitchen table ($500). I always wanted a Big Girl Dining Room ($3000). And Big Girl Matching Furniture ($1500).

So I got all that, and filled my house with it, and thought that was it. In Fight Club, remember how once you have that sofa thing figured out, you're set? I thought so too.

Well, the cream colored camel back sofas with the rolled arms were not only Not My Style but they were rather uncomfortable. They also didn't REALLY fit the living room.

That round oak table? Where Mom said we'd be cursing that pedestal? Yeah, we hated the pedestal.

And that dining room set. Oh, the dining room set. For a few years straight I could just look at my dining room set and feel happy. Granted, I never really enjoyed holding dinner parties in there. My friends weren't really suited to dinner parties, and my family expected a certain type of dinner parties (just like mom's) and I was never really comfy sitting in there. It was perfectly beautiful and yet....not me.

*****

6 years later I now have more sense than money. Money was blown on things like siding and windows, a lot was wasted on senseless bullshit, and more than a little was spent on that whole having-a-baby-thing. Now instead of going "I want it and I have a big savings account so I'll get whatever I choose!" I am more going "I want THIS and I have...oh....well....$36."

So, I have had to rely on a heavy dose of KnittyMagic. No longer do I have the luxury of simply replacing all the things that I change my mind about with a trip to the furniture store. No, now I have to really figure and plan, and make sure that, this time, I'm spending my money where it counts.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger ladyjanewriter said…

    Sorry I just read this now! I haven't been able how to get my blogroll on WordPress to show me when people update their blogs.

    KnittyMagic! I love it! Please absolutely document this progress.

    And, I miss you like hell!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home