Purrls

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

If you wait long enough.....

This summer when my sewing machine was not being cooperative, I was kicking myself for not rescuing one of my grandma's machines before they got sold at the estate sale. In browsing online to look at vintage machines I became enamored of a lovely style of Singer from the 60s; classic styling, all metal construction and AQUA.

I saw one of these beauties at the sewing machine repair shop, but it was broken and the repair estimate was fairly high. I still loved that pretty robin's egg blue though.

Monday a coworker mentioned that there was a person on our employee exchange giving away an old sewing machine, and maybe I'd be interested. I thought maybe it would be a fun thing to fiddle with and see if I could get running.

The man told me his wife had sewn all their (grown) children's clothes on the machine, and it had been sitting idle since her passing a few years ago. He said no one was interested in sewing machines--he just wanted it to have a good home.

I, who was mourning the loss of Grandma's machines and that missed connection at the repair shop...I wanted to give it a home. Maggie and I stopped over after work this afternoon. He took me upstairs to show me the machine, and I squealed.

It was aqua.

I took it home amid profuse thanks (me, for the free sewing machine, him, for giving his wife's machine a good home) and couldn't wait to try it out. It was threaded and everything, just ready to go....and it sews like crazy.

And it's aqua :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home