Purrls

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Stupid Ethical Dilemma

Feel free to weigh in with your opinion. This is largely theoretical.

Say a neighbor has a large number of cats/children/dogs and lets them all roam the neighborhood freely.

Say one of those cats frequently comes by my house for food. While I'm fairly sure they are feeding their animals, I am guessing they put down a big bowl and this guy just doesn't get there in time. He will eat anything I give him. He will sit and eat even as my daughter and her little friends pet him, talk loudly around him--general toddler stuff. He is super gentle and friendly and will jump in your lap if you just sit down.

This cat very very badly wants to get inside. So much that he has managed to more than once. I feel sorry for the little guy.

I know it's a bad idea to let random animals in your house, so we'll set aside the issues of the cat potentially carrying disease and/or other nastiness to my current cat and child.

However, I'm curious as to my ethical responsibility in this situation. I don't believe allowing animals to roam the neighborhood at will is responsible pet ownership. Having one or two cats that go in and out is not my choice but I believe that's different than allowing a whole litter of animals (and subsequent litters) roam in packs. These cats are open to free breeding, disease carrying, etc.

This cat would probably have a better life with me; steady food supply, vet care, etc. Although I don't think they actively abuse their animals, I am judging from the environment and the sheer number of charges that the people are not capable of providing top-notch care for all of these creatures. Especially as it's DAMN cold in the Chicago area right now, and although I have not SEEN him in a while, I have seen his little cat prints in the snow.

But if I *know* the cat belongs to this neighbor, am I behaving in an unethical manner to essentially abduct him (even though the "abduction" would only involve opening a door)? Is it my place to judge the care of an animal?

This is just one of the stupid questions that rolls around in my brain.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd set traps for all the kitties and take them in to get spayed and neutered one at at time, thus solving that problem surreptitiously. and then just ask the neighbor lady if I could have the one kitty that hangs out at my house all the time?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home