Purrls

Sunday, August 28, 2011

On Being a Late Ant. And amazing Blessings

1. Upon writing my previous post, I awoke early the next morning and went straight outside. I cleared all the sticks out of my compost pile. I built a compost enclosure. I shredded up newspaper and layered it in the bottom of my enclosure. I shoveled the compost onto the paper, breaking up the big chunks and swampy spots as I went.

2. Next, I built a 4'x2' raised garden bed. It's really raised--it sits on sawhorses to make it easier to tend and to keep the bunnies out.

3. I was unable to purchase seeds at the hardware store, so I looked at the ones I had purchased for my didn't-actually-happen spring garden. I wasn't sure what they were, as Maggie had picked them out, not me. Well damn if they weren't turnips, carrots, and radishes--all suited for fall gardening. The only thing I was worried about was the carrots--as the raised bed is only 6 inches deep. Well damn again---she had selected "half long" carrots.

4. I put three bags of Miracle Gro potting mix in my box. Actually, Mr. Knitty did this part. Suckers were heavy.

5. Following my niece's birthday party, I had just enough daylight left to rope off the sections of the garden with twine and plant my seeds. I have one section each of turnips and radishes, and two of carrots.

6. I actually remembered to water it.

7. In addition, Maggie and I cleared out about 50% of our scary-weed population and planted mums (yes, actual flowers!) in the garden thingy in the back.

8. This morning, my friend Heather arrived at my house with TWO huge boxes of fingering weight yarn--brand new--right when I had been trying to figure out the money to purchase yarn for a fair isle sweater. Another knitter friend of ours had been cleaning out her stash, and sent those just for me. And some other goodies; including some merino silk (!) blend, and some groovy purple roving. I'm gonna give spinning another shot.

9. My niece, who is one, gave me a big gap tooth smile for my little table I built her. All the other guests were saying "who built the cute little table??" Little birthday girl cried when I held her, but the smile makes up for it. I'm so glad she liked it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home