Purrls

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Problem With Things

Right when I buy something, I should look at it and think, "Am I willing to house this item for the next 10 years, regardless of how cheap it is right now?"

Every time I get into a certain craft, I end up buying numerous supplies for that craft. Then, one of two things happens. I either decide I'm not all that into the craft after all, and the stuff languishes, or I really get into the craft, but don't want to use those particular materials.

When I got into beads 10 years ago, I spent hours making up necklaces and bracelets and earrings, and even more time trolling bead stores and looking for new acquistions. After some time, I built up quite a large collection of beads. And I am having difficulty USING those beads. In some cases, I simply love them so much I need to figure out the PERFECT use for them. In other cases, I really don't love them that much, but I am convinced that they will be lovely in the proper setting.

So I make things, and they almost never turn out the way I want them. Too long, too short, too stiff, too whatever. So I end up taking them apart, and then I've just wasted time and not used up any beads.

I often think of making up a bunch of things and selling them, but I tried at a craft fair a few years ago and didn't sell a single piece. Compared to other people's things they just don't look as professional and beautiful. Besides, if I'm interested in selling it, it must be one of those things I don't much like myself, and so how do I think anyone else will particularly like it?

I also thought of making up Christmas gifts for everyone; but I have a limited number of female gift recipients on my list. And I don't want to give away a bunch of beads I don't want as gifts; I want my gifts to be lovely and I want to be proud to give them.

And so I end up with things that are too good to throw out, not good enough to give as gifts, and just generally uninspiring. :-P

In a way I wish that I could go back and unbuy those things. Then I wouldn't be stressed that I'm wasting money by throwing out good things that I just don't want. I wish I could send my cautious-consumer self back in time and go "Dumbass, you're going to be hauling that bead around for the next 15 years. Don't buy it!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home