Purrls

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Starting the New Year without Stale Projects

I finished the shawl. The purple shawl. The one that took forever. The one that was ripped out several times. It has been done for months and I was afraid to block it. And then I said to myself...."Self, you will not feel fresh and renewed starting new projects next year when you have stale, half-finished ones lying around on your desk."

And so, following the advice from a lady at my LYS, I laid out bath towels on the floor of my sewing room. I stretched out the shawl and put pins in it to stretch out the pieces into the appropriate shape. I sprayed it with water. And in a few hours it was dry. Then I crocheted on the edge and wove in the ends, and I couldn't believe it. It was done! Really done! Entirely done!

So I treated myself to a new project--an easy one, a quickly-completed one. Another shawl. :-) This one was a hippie shawl in crochet. It's called a spiderweb shawl. It is 2 strands of worsted weight yarn and a super easy crocheted pattern. I used 1 strand sage green TLC worsted, and 1 strand sand colored TLC Amore. It used just about all of both skeins and it is the perfect size. It only took about 5 hours total. And this one's actually warm :-)

I also found the greatest way to clean out my stash. You need:

All your yarn scraps and ends of balls, including eyelash and novelty bits
A size H crochet hook
A pillow form
2 movies to watch or a TV marathon of a good show

All this is is a granny square that gets very big. Each side of the pillow (for a small pillow) takes 1 approximately 1 movie. Before starting, take all of the balls and ends of yarn and line them up according to size, starting with the smallest. For the outside edges, you may need a new ball of yarn or one with quite a bit left on it. Each round gets progressively larger as you go along so you will need ever increasing sizes of yarn lengths. There is nothing to say you can't go 1 or 2 or 3 rows with one color, making a wider band of that color.

If you look up the instructions for 'granny square', simply follow them, adding a new color whenever you like. When it is big enough for the pillow form, fasten off and make another square the same size. To join them, work the 2 squares together as if they were 1 square and you were making another round. When you have 3 sides completed, put the pillow form into the 'bag' you've made and then continue to close up the final side. Fasten off and enjoy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home