Purrls

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

The Challenge of Having Friends Read Your Blog

Okay, I am having trouble figuring what to write. Since it's Christmastime, most of what I'm working on is gifts--and I can't write about gifts for people who read my blog....

I keep wanting to talk about this awesome present I'm working on...but I can't because I know the recipient reads this. I can't even talk about the yarn.

So I suppose I'll talk about the weather. I'm loving the weather. Even though it's wet and foggy it is NOT COLD. And that means I am getting extra mileage out of my poncho this fall. I want to knit a new one, because I am fascinated with the groovy Patons Bohemian that just came out, and I want to make a poncho out of it. I want to make Cape Mod, out of the first S&B book, but the only problem is I know by the time I finish it it will be too cold to wear it.

I have so many projects I want to start but I don't want to let myself start any new ones until the old ones are done. I've been fooling around with the same 2 projects for months--and I need to get them done. One is a sweater I'm designing as I go along. While I know it will fit, I'm also designing the fair isle pattern as I go along, and I'm afraid it will look like crap.

The other project is that damn Koigu shawl. I think I started it because I want to WEAR it, not really because I want to KNIT it, which is unusual for me--being a star process knitter. Although I love the yarn I am just really entirely sick of knitting it. The rows are really long and so it's taking forever just to do one row, and I experienced the setback of having to rip out 2 inches. So while I would love to flounce around in my new shawl I fear I will never finish it. RARRRR.

I'd really rather work on a poncho.

There are 2 schools of thought on multiple projects. A few people I know are very strict about only allowing themselves to work on one project at a time. They always get more done because they know they have to finish it before they start another. On the other hand, knitting is supposed to be fun, so why turn it into homework?

The other school of thought is the more projects the better. These would be the anal-expulsive knitters--they start what they feel like and may have 10 or 12 projects in progress. They never get tired of what they're knitting, but then again they hardly ever finish anything.

I must be somewhere in between. I prefer to have only 1 or 2 projects going. But sometimes I want to knit and I don't want to work on those projects, so I end up making something else. But I really like having a clean slate and being able to start fresh.

So, by one school of thought, I should not start the poncho until the sweater and the shawl are done. The other school of thought says I should run to Michael's tonight and buy the materials for my poncho. Hmmmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home