Purrls

Monday, September 13, 2004

My Cousin Learned to Knit!

My cousin had a surprise for me this weekend--she learned to knit! This girl never wanted to learn. Our grandma tried to teach her a long time ago but it just didn't take, and I think that experience turned her off of it. But now all the other women in the family knit and I think she saw how relaxed we were while working on it and wanted to give it a try. She's got 8 rows on a dishcloth already.

I got the second and third tiers done on my entrelac sock--I think it's kind of fun but it *is* a lot of work and a lot of knitting. I'm also a bit concerned they will be too large but there's really not a way you can make them smaller. I'm already using size 0 needles. But it's really fun to watch the diamonds go off in different directions. And the color is really pretty--orange and yellow and golden brown.

Today I am taking my lunch break at the yarn shop to pick out a pair of Addis because I want to start on Charlotte tonight. So excited!!

Okay, a couple of nonknitting friends read this and have mentioned they're confused, so I'm going to take a moment to publish a key to all the knitting BB jargon I've become so accustomed to, plus a few things about some of the knitting things I've mentioned.

LYS = local yarn shop/store
DPN= double pointed needles (sock needles)
circs = circular needles

gauge = how many stitches you get per inch, it is vital to match your gauge to the designer's gauge to get things the right size. Also 'making a gauge' = making a small sample of the pattern to test your gauge count.

Addis = Addi turbo needles; nickel plated aluminum needles that are generally accepted as the Cadillac of needles--they are relatively expensive and thus seen frequently as an indulgence!

colorway = term for the color of a yarn; especially a yarn that has multiple colors involved in its color scheme.

Hopefully that clears folks up.....and if you still don't get it, well, then, learn to knit, darn it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home