Purrls

Monday, November 15, 2004

Really Awesome 1-ball Slinky Scarf

Okay, project of the year. A super-duper simple slinky scarf in a fancy railroad yarn.

Railroad yarn is awesome--looks like little RR tracks and it is slinky and drapey and sparkly. Unfortunately, it's usually freaking expensive--Plymouth Eros is about $12 for a 100 yard ball.

Enter a new Bernat yarn called Matrix. 140 yards for just under $8. Wahoo! Comes in great colors such as purple, red berries, a peacock green/teal, and an earthy brown.

Now, I'm usually all over getting 'quality' yarn not 'craft-shop' yarn but when it comes down to novelty yarn I say what's the diff? Unless the craft-shop stuff doesn't come in the colors you like (and I found it to be the opposite) how different can it be? Lion Brand Fun Fur is hardly any different from Berroco Zoom and it is half the price.

So I'm jazzed about the Michael's starting to carry more fun novelty stuff. Although I can sniff haughtily at novelty yarn with the best of them--I really like them for a quick and easy brainless project.

So for a slinky openwork scarf on the cheap and faster than lightning...

1 ball Bernat Matrix
Size 15 needles

Cast on 15 stitches. Work garter stitch until it's long enough. I made mine really long so it can be doubled or tied or left long. It is about 5 feet long at least, and it's very drapey. I brought the ball to my S&B on Thursday and left with a scarf.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home