Purrls

Monday, February 27, 2006

One Project at a Time?

I keep holding this up as a goal to myself. And I'm wondering if it is a) possible or b) desirable.

I was working on the S&B Alien Illusion scarf. It's not tough, but it does require concentration. I'm halfway through, but this weekend I just didn't wanna work with green & black yarn, I just wanted to make something fuzzy and soft and PINK.

So I went to my stash and fished out some pink yarn (thanks Long Laurel Silversmith!) and some leftover fuzzy white fun fur and made a pink ribbed scarf with fuzzy white ends for my 6 yo niece.

And then Monica inspired me to make the Interweave Padded Footlets out of some pink/coral sock yarn I had, and so I had to jump in and start on THOSE.

In three days, I went from one project to 3. Hmph.

I was just getting down on my annoying self-indulgence when I realized 2 things.

1) The second 2 projects were stash yarn, so they really don't count.
2) More philosophically, the second 2 projects fulfilled a need that the Alien Illusion scarf just wasn't filling. The socks are more challenging and more fulfilling than the repetitive scarf. And the pink fuzzy scarf was prettier, softer, and easier (a necessary quality, when knitting in the movie theatre) than the Alien Illusion scarf.

So I have decided it's okay, and I can embrace this so-called self-indulgent streak. As long as I am still finishing projects, working on more than one means I will not be getting tired of any of them as quickly, and will always have something appropriate to work on.

Unfortunately, it also means I'll always have a messy spot on my couch or wherever I decide to knit ;-)

2 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Coming from a person who can't even remember all the projects she has started, I think 3 is more than reasonable. And I'm glad my yarn could help you :-)

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger knittykat said…

    Oh yes yes, the yarn has been great! I made the Urban Outfitters knockoff Circular Shrug and had 3 balls left; now I have 1 ball and a little bit and I'm hoping it's enough for a hat.

    As for the blue on blue Wool Ease I've made: a hat for my aunt's friend for Christmas, a hat for an online friend who needed some sunshine, a pair of dorm boot slippers for another online friend with whom I'm doing a swap, and I still have 2 balls left!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home