Purrls

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Look! A plant!


I'm sure everyone knows that all I have to do is walk into a room with a plant and it screams and dies horribly, right?

A few years ago I bought an adorable little fuzzy purple plant. My general approach with plants is the "Enjoy it while it lasts" approach, as SOMETHING I do will kill it very soon. For whatever reason, this one hung on.

When I got my job I brought it to work and put it on my windowsill. It was cute and purple and fuzzy. Well, I overwatered it and it started to get moldy, and so I asked my aunt for some help. She's the Plant Doctor. The purple plant went over for some rehab. After a month it came back; propagted enough to fill a huge pot I could barely lift, and fed so that it was positively bursting with new growth.

Unfortunately, now it didn't fit on the windowsill. And it had such long tendrils it was climbing creepily up the window. And last spring I had my bosses searching high and low for a dead mouse in my office.....it turned out the plant's response to being fed was to bloom. And it bloomed ugly, shrivelly, and STINKY yellow flowers. Dead mouse smelling flowers.

I was about sick of this so I asked a coworker if there was something I could do to make it a small little fuzzy plant again. She told me to take some cuttings and put them in a glass of water until they formed roots.

Doubtful, I did this, and sure enough, in 2 weeks it had a good root system (according to the coworker) going. She told me to put it in a pot with some potting soil and I was done! Last night I set it in its new little terra cotta pot with a cute saucer, and it is cute and little and fuzzy again :-)

3 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    L'il Birdie here. That plant is too cute! It even looks like a Dr. Seuss type of a thing- love it!

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    It *does* look rather Seussian, doesn't it? I never thought of that!

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I actually have a question, do you know the name of this plant, I have a piece and am trying to get more info about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home