Purrls

Friday, August 18, 2006

Dowdy Jumper to Adorable Purse

When I used to work in the classroom, I had a denim jumper with a cutesy fall motif on the chest. It was your standard-issue grade-school teacher shapeless-sack denim jumper. And YES, I did in fact wear it.

Alas, I do not wear it now :-) but something just would not let me part with it. It recalled fond memories of my days in the classroom.

Last night I had a brainstorm. It would make a perfect little purse, using the cutesy motif as a purse flap decoration! I set right to work on it and finished it in time to carry it to the Michigan Fiber Festival this weekend.

The strap is salvaged as well; it began life as one of those D-ring belts. I had three of them, saved because I liked the pattern though I NEVER wear belts. I used two of them in the making of my corduroy purse a few months back, and found one more straggler in the bottom of the drawer, perfect for this purse!

So this was an absolutely FREE purse; a repurposed jumper and belt!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes I just can't part with an old item of clothing, either! Great work on the bag!

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Miss13 said…

    I love it !
    Awesome job, It looks like it was picked up from a store :)

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    Thank you! I'm carrying it today and I'm so proud of it!

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger nicole said…

    awwwww!!!! good job! Denim Jumper... where would you buy one of those things anyway? I don't think I've ever seen one in action.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The purse looks great! Cool idea of recycling. Have a great time at the Fiber Festival.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger lucia said…

    Look great! I have some jeans I should recycle! I wonder if I can make a knitting bag out of them?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home