Purrls

Monday, August 14, 2006

Stitches!

What a fool am I! Stitches Midwest, the yarn expo to end all yarn expos, has been happening every year practically right outside my door for as long as I've been knitting.....and I first went yesterday!

I went in a group with Lucia, Heather, Heather's friend Christine, and my mom. I had been concerned I wouldn't find someone to go with me, and I ended up with a group of 5! It is much more fun with a group than it would have been on my own. We split up and met periodically through the afternoon.

I was worried also that I would feel claustrophobic. I don't do well with crowds; I tend towards panic attacks when there are too many people around. So I've always avoided conventions. However, it was not crowded and not claustrophobic at all! I had a wonderful time; I think we stayed over 3 hours.

I did pretty good with not overpurchasing too! Although it was tempting, I pretty much made an informal rule that I wouldn't purchase anything I could just buy at the LYS or online from the usual sources. I was on the lookout for things that are special, unusual, one-of-a-kind, hard-to-find, and handcrafted.

I bought 2 bags of alpaca fiber from a lovely alpaca farmer man. The neatest part about his fiber is that the dye lot is the name of the animal. Mine was from Abby; a caramel colored alpaca. I actually bought only one at first and then went back for another :-) It is my hope that I can spin it well enough to make myself a small shawl or capelet from the resulting yarn.

I also bought an Addi sparkle hook. I know it's silly to spend money when I already have more hooks than I'll ever need, but this is an *Addi Sparkle Hook* for heaven's sake. So hard to get anywhere! I would have spent $15 to get the same thing shipped from Germany so I was thrilled to find one for $4.50 at Stitches. From the same place I bought a little bag of roving ends to feed my new obsession; needle felting.

And my lovely momma bought me a huge skein of fingering weight hand dyed yarn from Canada! It is so neat; has practically every color in it! I'm planning to use it with a neat shawl pattern I bought; which is more than a full circle but split in the front; resulting in nearly a poncho but one you don't have to put over your head. Sort of a Faroese shawl on steroids :-)

Besides that I got plenty of ideas and inspiration. One was an adorable Little Red Riding Hood cape that I simply MUST make. I didn't buy the pattern because I'm sure I can figure it out on my own, though. I also found JUST the pattern for the monster-green Lacey Lamb I bought with my birthday money. It's a shawlette that's featured in a Victorian Shawl book that is not even published yet :-)

Pics to come!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw the little red riding hood too and thought it was adorable! It was lovely visiting with you ladies again, I am so glad I ran into you. :) OMG Lacey Lamb??? I have had that yarn on my "list" for quite a while now, lucky lady!

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    Hee hee, yes, I *finally* went and had such a wonderful time.

    Now that I've touched the good yarn and the Addi Turbos I'm never going back to Red Heart and aluminum straights LOL. Swanky stuff all the way, baby!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home