Purrls

Friday, June 02, 2006

Third Time's the Charm


Some of you may remember back in....oh....January (?) I bought 3 precious skeins of purple & green Malabrigo yarn. For the unintiated; sort of like Manos but softer.

I intended it for a Clapotis, which I, being a sheep, decided to make after everyone in the entire galaxy had made it too. I got about half way through and decided I hated it. It was just NOT the right yarn for it and it wasn't turning out as I had hoped.

Rip one.

So I was sitting with my freshly ripped Clapotis at knit group and I still wanted to make something out of it. I was still thinking in the mode of 'big scarf' like the Clapotis. Someone suggested I try a feather and fan pattern, which is supposedly easy. They lie. It is hard. I had made it through about 2/3 of the yarn this time when I discovered, way back in Ball 1, that I was entirely doing it wrong and had jogs in my feathers & my fans. I ripped back to the problem, but I still just wasn't liking the feather and fan thing. Too hard to do; and I still had to have the pattern in front of me the whole time so I couldn't knit it unless I could focus on just that. And even still I kept forgetting what row I was on. Sigh.

It didn't help that everyone kept telling me how EASY it was to do feather & fan. I guess it is just one of those things, like keeping plants alive or figuring out which way is north, that other people can do without much difficulty but I can't.

Everyone told me not to rip it out, and to give it a rest for a while. So it sat in a basket on top of my TV for several months.

Rip Two.

Yesterday Mom and I were checking out a display of wraps at the Knitche and I tried on a wonderful asymmetrical wrap with wonderful abalone buttons. I loved it and it was totally *me*. I was trying to think up a yarn substitute, when my eyes fell on the Malabrigo display. Cue lightbulb above head! I have EXACTLY enough of my purple & green Malabrigo to make the wrap, and I even have wonderful abalone buttons just like theirs.

I began on it last night and the fabric is SO lovely. I feel like it's 'clicking' now!

It doesn't look like much yet, but here's a pic.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I still cannot believe you can't do Fan and Feather. You are the 3rd person who told me that !! All that tricky stuff you do and Fan and Feather defeats you.
    I guess there are still some things that Mom does etter.!!

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where is the finished product? It turned out so nice with Grandmas' button.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home