Purrls

Friday, September 01, 2006

Finally, a Finished Object!
















I finished these last night! It feels great to have a finished project, I feel like I have been in Knitting Funk Limbo for weeks now.

I'm kind of glad they turned out to be armwarmers, because they are sure as heck cute!

If you want to try a sock pattern out and you are concerned about turning the heel (or that your yarn is too fragile for hard-wearing socks, or that you don't have the patience to knit a whole pair, or that you just don't like knitted socks) I highly recommend making yourself a pair of armwarmers!

Excuse the silly drinking-tea pic, I'm just pretending to be a model in one of those glossy knitting books like Weekend Knitting.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They came out great! Bring those back next week so you can wear them if our stalker comes back. They'll protect your knuckles. Who know the pattern has so many uses!

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love. Them. Maybe I should add a thumb-bit to my fingerless gloves... If I just pick up stitches around the current thumbhole will that work? How did you do yours?

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well done! Those look so dang hip. Really cool!

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    Thanks everyone! The yarn is Opal sock yarn in the Flamingo colorway; I ordered it all the way from the UK before I realized I could have found it at the Michigan Fiber Festival :-) It still makes me feel all special though!

    rahime, I did the thumbs via a waste-yarn method kind of like doing "afterthought heels" on socks, where I worked several stitches with waste yarn, then put them back and worked over the waste yarn with regular yarn. My friend Doree at knit group taught me how, and it is truly a wonderful way to do the thumbs; much neater than the usual thumb method for mittens, where you hold off half the stitches and then cast on.

    However, it does require planning ahead, since yours are already done, I think picking up stitches would work just fine!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home