Purrls

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Challenges to Myself

1. Only knit projects I really WANT to knit. Not just ones that someone else knitted. Not just ones that don't call for very much yarn. Not just ones for which I have the yarn already and don't have to buy. And not just ones that call for cheap yarn.

2. Do not buy yarn until I have a project in mind. If I just went and bought the yarn for a project and worked on the project, I could buy yarn I like and not be spending all that much. By keeping myself in the mindset that I must buy LOTS of yarn for as little money as possible, I'm chaining myself to a whole load of yarn that I don't particularly like.

3. Similarly, do not decide on projects based solely on price. And stop trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Red Heart may be cheaper than Cascade 220, but it is not nearly as nice to work with or to wear. I should have learned my lesson with the $2 Aran sweater that I spent weeks designing and carefully knitting, only to have it feel horrid and stretch all over the place the first time I wore it.

4. Only knit projects that look like they will be flattering. Unfortunately, that baggy sweater just isn't doing it, and it hangs down to my thighs. Bite the bullet and rip it. Quit making excuses about how it's finally done and it's better done than not done.

5. Stop stubbornly finishing projects that are not working out. Just because I spent $4 on yarn (ooooh, pricey) already, doesn't mean I should invest hours of my time in working it when I don't like it and I don't like the project.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am giving you a standing ovation for your realizations and proclamation! No cheap yarn ever, your time is worth more than that. So...inexpensive yarn, YES...but cheap yarn...NEVER.

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    ::takes a bow:: I think that's my first standing ovation!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home