Purrls

Friday, March 31, 2006

I'm One of the Cool Girls Now

Remember in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, how Toula always wanted to sit with the cool girls and eat a bologna sandwich on squishy white bread instead of all of the (probably delightful) ethnic leftovers her mom sent her with as a kid? And when she goes to college she finally brings her bologna sandwich on squishy white bread and gets to sit with the cool girls?

That's how I feel. I finally bought myself a Chibi needle case. I cannot exactly say why I always wanted one, except that everyone else had one. But I never bought one, because it was (gasp) $5. Yesterday I finally bought myself a Chibi needle case. It is white and has blue ends, just like everyone else's. And I no longer have to chase my weaving needles into the bottom of my bag.

Next up, I am finally spending the freaking $5 and getting myself some real stitch markers. I have been using the little tied loops of yarn my whole knitting career, envying the pretty little plastic rings everyone else had. Do you see how silly I am? A) I envy people little plastic rings and B) I can't make myself spend the $4 on a package of little plastic rings, even though I've always secretly wanted them.

And then, I am buying myself some of those long double-ended stitch holders, instead of the ones with the hook on the end that catch in the yarn. If I'm going to be investing in nice yarn, I don't want to snag it.

And I just want to look in my notions bag and think "Hey, I've got all the nice tools in here" rather than "Sigh, I suppose these are just as good as everyone else's."

Sometimes I think I must be regressing to age 7 instead of 27.

******

Yesterday Mom & I went to the LYS and I finally asked for the pattern for a very lovely vest they have on display. A month ago I had admired it and wanted to make it. It had an unusual construction and showed off a very very lovely yarn. I had thought about purchasing the pattern then, but had decided that since I wouldn't buy the yarn, it really made the project not what I wanted, because the really striking part about it is that it used that lovely self-striping yarn.

But now that I have decided I will make projects out of nice yarn, I bought the pattern and once I am done with my current projects I will buy the nice yarn and, next fall, I will have a lovely Vest of Many Colors to wear.

I feel like a new woman!

******

I have decided on some ways I will keep the yarn spending under control, since I *do* want to buy nice yarn but *do not* want to go broke :-) First of all, I am only going to buy yarn for the next two projects in mind, at most. Too often I buy the yarn ahead of time and decide not to make the project after all, and so I am going to purchase as I go. Hopefully this means I will not have to go on a Yarn Diet, as regular diets are unpleasant enough as it is. Yarn is my favorite fat free dessert.

Second, I am going to take my time on projects. I've already found that I take my time more on projects with nice yarn because I am enjoying the process, rather than just finishing it quickly to get it over with.

Third, I am going to intersperse the luxury projects with more inexpensive projects. Knitpicks is inexpensive, but the yarn is nice, so I will use some Knitpicks yarn when it works nicely in a pattern. Socks only require one ball of yarn but take awhile, so they are a good inexpensive purchase. And felting is still fun but inexpensive wool is just fine, so I will enjoy some felting projects in there too.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All those ideas sound fabulous. But, I must say, even though I have the safety pin-ish stitch markers, I still use loops of yarn sometimes. :-)

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    Eh, I probably will too, but I will have the OPTION of pretty little plastic ones.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You crack me up Kat...I love reading your stuff. I don't know how you find time to do all you do though. And regression is good!!

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to the party...but Kat you were already cool and just didn't realize it.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger knittykat said…

    Aw, thanks Dee :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home