Purrls

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Greatest Weekend

I had a wonderful weekend!

Since I have opened myself up to new experiences and new things, I have been having the greatest time. I am tired on this Monday morning, but it was worth it because I had a fabulous time.

Friday I went to a bar for the first time. I met my best friend Carrie at Quigley's in Naperville and had a positively lovely time enjoying a beer and some long-overdue girly chat. We had our boys meet us after a couple of hours and then enjoyed a nice dinner together. I'm going back! I had a blast!

Saturday I got up and caught the train into the city to meet up with my other friend Janet. I rode a packed train loaded with excited Cubs fans--I think I was one of about a dozen non-baseball-goers on the train. I sat with an interesting lady who is a painter and a jewelry designer, we had some nice conversation on the way down.

Janet and I had a great time walking around downtown Chicago. She taught me how to find my way around in Chicago; it is really quite simple once someone explains the theory behind it. We went to Loopy Yarn, which my knitting buddies always talked about but I had never had the pleasure of visiting. We spent some time there petting yarns, but didn't buy anything.

Then we walked back up State and went to Argo Tea Co. and I had my first bubble tea. Ever since I heard about bubble tea over a year ago, it has been one of my life's missions to try it, but I could never find a place. This time I was bound and determined--I had 2 locations mapped out on a little cheat sheet in my pocket, so I could at least get to one of them!

For the uninitiated, bubble tea is a drink, not always tea, but sometimes a smoothie or other cold drink with large tapioca pearls lying in the bottom, which you slurp up through a very large diameter straw. One chain of bubble tea shops is called Fat Straw. The pearls are chewy and sweet. At Argo the pearls were little cubes, which was also quite nice. We had a sandwich and bubble tea and enjoyed sitting in the very sleek and posh-looking tea shop. I pretended I was a fancy lady who lived downtown in a terribly chic loft :-)

While there I also taught Janet how to crochet! So we both learned something new this weekend; I learned how to get around in downtown Chicago and she learned how to crochet. She was a very quick learner and I think I may have hooked (heh) her on this fabulous hobby.

After crocheting & bubble tea, we walked over to Millennium Park and enjoyed wandering around in this lovely green space. We walked under the Bean, saw the big faces, and walked over whatever busy street it is on the promenade. We saw the lake and we even saw people on a Segway tour, which is totally something I want to do now!

I was exhausted after 4 miles of walking, but totally happy as I rode on the train back to the suburbs, where I decided to cook myself a very nice dinner of a good NY Strip Steak, some broccoli, and a luscious tomato. After dinner I played Scrabble with my cousin until 11:00 and then retired, happily, to my bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home